After the first part of the odyssey, I just wanted gwibber to work, and started googling around for some desperate fix. So, I realized a lot of people were having the same issue, and the fix was simple: to install the Intrepid version of libwebkit, 1.0-1.
Trying to fix the previous issue, I started using the packages from the WebKit Team PPA, that contain a newer version of libwebgtk, 1.0-4. So, considering I don’t need the newest package versions that PPA provides, I just removed the PPA line from my sources.list.d/ppa.list and safely removed/reinstalled libwebkit.
Easy as that:
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude remove libwebkit-1.0.1-4
aptitude suggested me first removing gwibber and python-webkitgtk, and second, just downgrading libwebkit. I chose the first one, because removing everything to install again later was more guaranteed to put things to work, considering that this approach will likely get the correct versions needed. If you just downgraded the libwebkit package and it worked, let me know!
sudo aptitude install gwibber
And it reinstalled gwibber, python-webkitgtk and the libwebkit, now in the correct version.
Now gwibber works like a charm, and I’m again a happy user. 🙂
Gwibber now shows twitter direct messages on the Replies tab, and clicking on a users’ nick opens a tab on gwibber with the users’ timeline. Awesome!